Formosa Plastics is proud to be a member of the communities in which we operate and is committed to making substantive contributions in each of them. Over the past twenty years, we've made it a point to work with local organizations toward improving education, health, civic growth, spiritual development, and environmental protection and preservation. Donations of time and funding are only the beginning.
We've been very active in the areas of environmental responsibility, corporate contributions and the greater communities/societies in which we operate.
All Formosa Plastics locations actively support and advance education in their respective communities.
Delaware City, Delaware:
- funded a scholarship to a local high school for graduating seniors pursuing a math and/or science career path at the college level;
- donated funds to a local elementary school for the continuation of its Nature Tours program and supports recreational activities at local elementary and middle schools; and
- offers in-classroom presentations and lectures to further enhance the understanding of business and technology.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana:
- endowed two Professorships at the Louisiana State University College of Engineering; and
- financially supported the LSU Center for Academic Success, through the LSU Foundation, to provide tutoring and class enhancements for students in the College of Engineering and its Thermodynamics and Electrical Circuits courses.
Point Comfort, Texas:
- established five trust funds that annually generate over $200,000 in grants to residents and organizations in Calhoun County and Jackson County, Texas. These trust funds include the Calhoun High School Scholarship Trust, the Formosa Environmental Trust, the Edna School Trust and the Memorial Medical Hospital Equipment Trust; and
- helps lead the Partners in Education Program for Calhoun County, which supplies mentors, tutors and managerial guidance to, and financially supports, the Calhoun County Independent School District (CCISD).
Corporate and New Jersey (national):
- provides special contributions to promote Chemical Engineering student participation and facilities at Manhattan College, Lehigh University, Texas A&M and Louisiana State University.
We've established several environmental initiatives, including:
- operation of a continuous air monitoring system in the city of Point Comfort, Texas;
- establishment of the Agricultural & Environmental Research Center in Jackson County, Texas to research and develop new varieties of faster-growing local trees and plants; and
- building/managing the Formosa Tejano Wetlands, a 245-acre wetland habitat in south Texas along a major migratory flight path. Certified by the Wildlife Habitat Council in 1999, the site was developed on company-owned land under the cooperative guidance of an advisory committee representing FPC TX and nine environmental stakeholder organizations. A monarch butterfly migration waystation and milkweed propagation center were established in 2015.
Communities / Societies
Our company and employees are committed to improving the communities in which we work and live.
- contributes time and resources to local education and community events including: American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Red Cross, Delaware Association of Police, Delaware City "Canal Fest" (environmental celebration), Delaware City Days (civic awareness celebration), Delaware City Fire Company, Delaware City Lions Club, "Main Street" Delaware City (civic improvement) and the Delaware City Jaycees.
- contributes time and resources to local education and community events including: Baton Rouge Community College, Baton Rouge Green, Friends of Environmental Education, Junior Achievement, Louisiana Special Olympics, Louisiana State University, March of Dimes Walk-a-thon, Mayor's International Heritage Celebration and Festival, North Baton Rouge Neighbor Day, Trash Bash and the United Way.
- contributes time and resources to local education and community events, including school, civic, cultural, municipal, and youth programs. Some of these include: 4-H, Boy Scouts, Calhoun County Chamber of Commerce, Calhoun County Partners in Education, Girl Scouts, Lions Club, Rotary, senior citizens groups, South Texas Blood Bank, United Way and YMCA;
- established a trust that provides funds to benefit the Memorial Medical Center in Port Lavaca; and
- supports the spiritual needs of the community by endowing a $1 million trust fund to aid religious programs in Calhoun, Jackson and Victoria counties.
Corporate and New Jersey (national):
- supports the Blood Center of New Jersey through annual blood drives; and
- supports the Community Food Bank of New Jersey through generous donations of nonperishable food items. Through an employer-matching program, employees and the company provide hundreds of Thanksgiving Day turkeys to area families each year.
Formosa Plastics is proud to be a member of the communities in which we operate and is committed to making substantive improvements in each of them.